Tortilla Tricks | DIY WIRE TACOS

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

"I would like to invite you to a taco night. Bring Mexican hats. And some swirly straws. We'll order some Mexican food. In the meantime, let's make some wire tacos."

This is what happens when I ask my little sister to write a blog post for me.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Not entirely what I had imagined. I was thinking more of something along the lines of starting off the New Year in an organized fashion. I might have thrown in a little metaphor about untangling wires and making structured life choices.

I wasn't planning on going down the taco route. Though it makes sense. And since I had tacos at my favorite Mexican place only yesterday, why not! Filled with wires and headphones, and a vegan option with pens and brushes - simply delish!

I'll give you one thing though, little sis. Your abstract is concise and to the point. That's always a good thing.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

"Here's how you do it: Let Motte do it."

Thanks, sis.

But since I can't be around all of the time I'll give you a quick guide on how to make these cute wire tacos all by yourself.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED for one wire taco:

MATERIALS:
- imitation leather/pleather
- needle and thread
- golden bead
- masking tape

TOOLS:
- printer, or pen and paper
- scissors
- exacto knife
- pencil

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Step 1: From a piece of paper, cut out a circle in the desired size. You can print off a template from the web as I did, or trace around the rim of a glass to create a circular shape. For a playful touch, add a scalloped or zig zag edge.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Step 2: Tape the template onto the back of the sheet of pleather using masking tape, and cut around the template with a pair of scissors.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Step 3: Remove the template and fold the circle you have just cut out in half. Eyeball where you'd like the bead (which will function as a button) to go and make a small mark with a pencil both on the right side and the left side of the pleather. Be precise so the edges will line up.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Step 4: With a needle and thread sew the bead onto the left side of the pleather, right where you made the pencil mark.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

Step 5: Using the exacto knife cut a small x where you made a mark on the right side of the pleather. Careful not to make the whole too big; the bead should just be able to fit through it.

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

DIY Wire Tacos | Motte's Blog

And that's it! Not much more to it, except now you can transport your headphones in a fashionable manner - in their own taco purse!

Caution: Not fit for human consumption!


10 comments

  1. Lovely idea!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I did enjoy that introduction!
    Tacos are always a good idea. I should make some, too. Unless of course, you would do them for me, Motte?
    Best
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! What size bead did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, also what diameter did you use for your tacos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail:) The larger yellow taco has a diameter of 10cm, the grey is 9cm and the small ones (gold, silver) have a diameter of 7,5cm. I used the same bead for all of them, it is a 5mm bead!

      Delete
  5. Thank you, I can't wait to make a bunch of these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good idea for tidying up wires but why use leather? can I not use any other material? is leather safer to be used with wires?
    waiting to hear fom you Flora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flora! Of course you can use other material, but I recommend a sturdier fabric and (faux) leather works great!

      Delete