Easter mishap | DIY CRACKED EASTER EGGS

cracks painted onto a bunch  of Easter eggs using a marker

I’ve had a blast all day. I’ve been running around with a sad face telling everybody that I spent all morning painting Easter eggs, only to drop them shortly after.

It’s funny because it’s not true.

I mean, I did spend the morning making yet another batch of personalized Easter eggs, true. But the cracks didn’t occur from a tumble down the stairs, but rather from a carefully placed felt tip.

I was just cracking a joke.

Get it?

cracks painted onto an Easter egg

an Easter egg painted with cracks

an Easter eggs painted with cracks

Let me be more specific. I had this idea of making something simple with my next batch of Easter eggs. I went for the comic book theme last which I absolutely love, but that is in a way quite arbitrary. There is no connection to Easter. The egg itself isn’t essential. I could have used any old piece of paper, a wooden plate, a stone; it wouldn’t have altered the craft.

Of course, it is absolutely valid to view eggs as a plain white canvas, albeit round rather than rectangular and flat. Any motif is therefore acceptable depending on your current inspiration or personal motivation (Go nuts!).

But I wanted to create something that seemed more natural to the egg itself. And because I wasn’t so much into painting little ducklings onto the shells, I was happy to come up with the cracked egg motif!

I understand that there is probably a much easier way to create the crackled effect; for instance, actually dropping the eggs. But since I do not enjoy cleaning all too much, I decided to go with the less messy option.

painted Easter eggs with cracks

painted Easter eggs with cracks

a group of painted Easter eggs with cracks

Truthfully, I thought I would find similar DIYs by the dozen on the internet of things. But a quick run through different search engines proved me wrong.

It appears that most people like their eggs in one piece. Unlike me, most people don’t like to present unfinished, unsuccessful, – or worse – broken items on their social media.

But let me motivate you to give these a go anyways. They are quite the eye-catcher, but simple enough not to compete with your other decorum. And if they don’t quite turn out the way you envisioned, you can always accidentally-on-purpose drop them for real.

painted Easter eggs with cracks

a bunch of Easter eggs painted with cracks

HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
  • boiled or blown-out egg 
  • permanent marker 
  • pencil, optional 
  • paper, optional 
  • transfer paper, optional 
preparing the cracked Easter egg design

Step 1: If it makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead and make some doodles before you get started on the actual egg.

painting cracks onto Easter eggs with a marker

Step 2: Using your sketches as a guide, transfer the “crack” motifs onto the egg with a permanent marker. You can give various thicknesses a go, but you will need an S at the very least. Optionally, you can paint on your illustrations with a pencil to begin with, before tracing them with the marker.

If you are not comfortable with freehand drawing, you can use tracing paper to transfer the images onto the egg directly. The challenge here might be finding the right placement, as you will be covering a round shape with a flat sheet of paper. Give it a try, but don’t worry about it too much. I don’t think there are perfect cracks.

painted Easter eggs with cracks

Easter eggs painted with cracks using a marker

Happy cracking!


1 comment

  1. Ohh, that's really amazing, loved your post, many thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete